Automation Group Project Manager
As a result of the ongoing growth and expansion of our Controls business, HTS Engineering is looking for a Project Manager for our Toronto, Ontario office.
Acts as the project leader to plan, execute, and complete multiple control systems projects with assigned customers. Performs or delegates tasks as required to execute and fully complete assigned projects including: hardware design, system programming, installation coordination, system and network commissioning and project closeout.
- Manages multiple projects and oversees the required daily activities of all projects under their portfolio.
- Oversees project construction for compliance with specifications, codes, installation techniques and safety activities. Responsible for customer approval of detailed job submittals created for project.
- Actively pursues additional work through change orders. Evaluates the contractual scope of work, field directives and/or scheduling changes. Communicates both technical and business related issues with the clients.
- Manages the selection, ordering, budget and delivery schedule of materials to be procured for the projects assigned.
- Secures pricing and availability from outside vendors and suppliers, mechanical and electrical subcontractors including scope, terms and conditions.
- Manages and ensures completion for the loading, device verification, and commissioning of all system controllers as required. Provides accurate project as-built and commissioning documentation.
- Manages costs, billings and collections. Completes project billings in a timely and accurate format to the client. Maintains profitability goals and positive cash flow.
- Provides coaching, mentoring and technical assistance to Junior/Intermediate Technicians and Electrical Installers. Provides technical assistance to subcontractors.
- Effectively communicates the status of projects to management as required and provides monthly forecasts of revenue, costs, and gross margin.
- Sends warranty letter to customer upon substantial completion of project and ensures proper execution of warranty. Facilitates Service Sales’ pursuit of ongoing Service work.
- Develops project plans and coordinates the required resources to ensure timely and cost effective installation and completion of assigned projects.
- Performs site-specific training for owner/operator on the total system. Provides proper documentation and manuals for system operation.
- Adheres to safety standards and participates in Departmental Safety & Coordination Meetings. High degree of regard to employee and subcontractor safety.
- Validates complete system functionality and troubleshoots problems with subcontractors and other trades to ensure proper operation and scope compliance.
- Provides Sales/Service Support as required.
- Responsible for project documentation.
- Responsible for successful project implementation through-out Project Process: Initiating – Planning – Execution - Monitoring/Control – Closing
- Proactively evaluates potential problems on the job and initiates action to limit negative outcomes. Provides estimates or negotiates additional work for customer. Coordinates and presents change orders to customers. Reviews customer’s systems during installations and if needed points out other areas system enhancements resulting in value added change-orders. Pursues, secures and closes change-orders for equitable adjustments to contracts.
- Highly effective communicator both verbal and written. Frequently utilizing verbal talent and multiple communication media forms to communicate with project team, client, subcontractors, end user and other HTS Support Staff. Uses negotiation skills to consistently resolve disputes without the need for elevation.
- Minimum of a technical Associates Degree with five or more years of field/project management experience.
- Relevant technical hands on experience in systems design and commissioning of digital HVAC controls systems.
- Ability to perform work independently and demonstrates strong communications and leadership skills.
- Strong personal computer skills.
- Knowledge of control theory and HVAC systems. Knowledge of project accounting, costing principals and contracting preferred.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, HTS Engineering is an equal opportunity employer. HTS welcomes and encourages applications from Aboriginal people, visible minorities, women and people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request, for all aspects of the recruiting process.